How to clean blinds
Cleaning your blinds is the easiest and most crucial form of maintenance you can undertake. Each type of blind benefits from its own specific cleaning regime. So, to help keep your blinds in top condition, we’ve compiled cleaning instructions for the 3 most popular styles.
Whether your Venetian blinds are plastic, metal or wooden, you can treat them the same way.
- First, lower the blinds and close the slats so that no light can be seen from the window.
- Next, hold the bottom rail and dust the slats with a microfibre cloth.
- Reverse the slats so that they face the other way and dust them on this side.
- Reverse the slats again and clean using a damp soapy cloth.
- Reverse the slats a final time and repeat with the damp cloth.
- Finally, open the slats so that the maximum amount of light can be seen through them. This will allow the slats to dry.
Roman blinds are typically made of a thicker fabric and should not be exposed to too much water. We suggest attaching a soft brush attachment to your vacuum cleaner and selecting the lowest suction setting. Then lightly remove the dust build up by passing the brush attachment across the blinds. Do this with the blinds fully lowered to guarantee all the dust is effectively removed. Alternatively, use a damp, soapy cloth but take care not to soak the blinds.
Because roller blinds are made using a variety of materials, you should always check any labelling or manufacturer’s instructions before cleaning. Most roller blinds can be submerged in water for a deep clean but this is not true of all roller blinds. Here’s our top tips on how to clean your roller blinds.
- Detach your blinds from the main bracket and unroll them on the floor.
- Use your vacuum and a soft brush attachment to remove surface dust.
- Apply a damp, soapy cloth to the fabric; you can soak the roller blinds if you wish but this is rarely necessary for minor soiling.
- If your blinds are white, you can add a small amount of bleach to the damp cloth but make sure to wear rubber gloves when using this method of cleaning.
- If you have stubborn stains to remove, scrub them gently using an old, clean toothbrush and soapy water.
- Place your blinds on a clothesline and once fully dry, reattach them to the main blinds bracket.
Humberside Sunblinds specialise in awnings, canopies, blinds and curtains and offer services to customers throughout Grimsby, Lincoln, Scunthorpe and surrounding areas. Our team offer made-to-measure window coverings, starting with a free home visit and measure to ensure your blinds or curtains are made especially for your home. To see our range for yourself, make a trip to our showroom where you can view our entire range. For more information, contact us today.